TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Contributing problem is the design of "350z big brake kit"
People Seeking Info

Subject Contributing problem is the design of "350z big brake kit"

Posted by CPARK@Powertrix.com on May 13, 2009 at 4:10 PM
  This message has been viewed 661 times.

In Reply To Brake-man pad opinions? posted by Keaner on May 12, 2009 at 07:30 PM

Message Going to the better pad will help but the issue is the design of the brake kit. If you are running the 350z track rotor with the stock 300zx caliper, it is not an optimum set up as the bracket designed to make this bolt up spaces the caliper so far out that it makes the pads float approximately 8-10mm above the swept area of the rotor which equates to approximately 15-20% loss in pad to rotor friction contact. Further when the pad starts to wear, the remaining pad that is not contacting the surface is continuously dragging on the outer edges of the rotors causing the rotors to continually heat up and not allow for optimum cooling between braking. Most that have this kit likely do not have complaints because they are not under heavy duty as in an at the track application. Though you may feel an initial better “bite” with this kit over the stock set up, due to the slightly higher torque value of using a larger diameter rotor, in the long run it is actually less braking performance than running a decent pad with the stock sized rotor and caliper. This is where the cliché of “bigger is not always better” holds true as the stock caliper dimensions are only designed to accommodate just so large of a rotor before it causes pad to rotor surface area friction loss. This is especially evident on the track with heavy continuous braking. We tested essentially this same kit over 5 years ago when it was used with the Skyline 12.75-12.80 rotor (which is the same diameter of the 350z rotor) and realized that going back to the stock setup was, by pure in seat feeling, better overall braking performance.

Pad – wise, the Brakeman street pad sounds like the way to go for you. They will perform night and day better than the Axis pad and I definitely like them over the Hawk HPS. I found that the HPS needs to warm up before they start to work at its optimum level and they dust more than the Brakeman street. Further after the HPS reaches its half live, their braking performance starts to steadily decline. With the Brakeman Street, they stop just as well cold as they do hot, just as well brand new as all the way to the end of the pad material, and do not dust anywhere near as much as the other pads. We use these pads on all are cars including our Titan tow vehicle. I’ve also used them on the Streets of Willow Track and they work miraculously well pulling the car down continuously from 110-115 mph into the hair pin skid pad and into negotiating the bowl.

We use the Brakeman 84 Race compound (which is an extremely aggressive) on the track but I would say don’t use it on the street. They can become very noisy due to the low speed stops that cause glazing and they do dust a lot.

With that said and depending on the track, going to a real rotor and caliper upgrade like the Brakeman or Stoptech set up is the only real way to ensure you have the proper braking tools. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions.

Sincerely
Charles Park
POWERTRIX
Performance & Styling
www.powertrix.com (NOW OPEN)
Office 858-566-5060
Mobile 619-944-6055

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.